Lutronic Genius Aftercare Instructions
Conveniently Located to serve Rutherford, Verona, Bergen and Essex Counties
Pre-Treatment Patient Instructions
- On day of treatment, patients should thoroughly wash face and not apply any makeup, lotions, sunscreen or any other cosmetics to the skin of the treatment area prior to arriving at facility.
- Thoroughly clean the treatment area.
- Apply topical anesthetic and follow the prescriptive instructions on the packaging. For a small percentage of patients, some physicians apply nerve block procedure to improve treatment comfort for sensitive areas on upper lip, around mouth or around eyes.
- Completely remove anesthetic and wipe clean with alcohol wipe.
- Santize the treatment area with antiseptic scrub such as Hibiclens.
Post-Treatment Patient Instructions
- Immediately post treatment, clean the skin using a sterile saline soaked gauze and dry. Use an air cooler or towel wrapped ice pack to calm the skin down, if needed.
- An occlusive post-treatment ointment is not recommended, although some physicians use a topical antibiotic for 1 day post-treatment for individuals prone to acne breakout.
- Instruct the patient that cooling is allowed if needed with a towel-wrapped ice pack and apply post treatment moisturizer per physician recommendations.
- Inform patients that mild crusting might be noted 1-5 days following treatment. Crusts will disappear naturally in several days. Caution patients not to pick at the crusts. Soaking skin in the shower for 10-15 minutes and rubbing very gently with a washcloth can help with sloughing.
- Patients should avoid harsh topical products or alcohol-based toners for two weeks. Otherwise, after 24 hours, patients can resume their notmal skin care regimen or as directed by physician.
- Patients should avoid vigorous activity, excessive heat, or sun exposure for at least 1 week.
- Patients should avoid sun exposure for the first day and beginning on the second day, apply a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunblock with an SPF of 30+ and PA++ according to the product manufacturer’s instructions. Until the skin returns to normal, when outdoors always use an umbrella, hat or other available protection against sunlight.
- Instruct patients to wait a minimum of 3 weeks for their next treatment and that 4-6 weeks is typical between treatments.
- Most patients achieve best results with 2-4 treatments.
Expected Skin Reactions and Results
- 1 day Post-Treatment: Redness and transient edema, skin begins to turn to a condition similar to before treatment.
- 3 days – 1 week Post-Treatment: Brighter skin tone and significant reduction in sebum secretion in oily skin types.
- 1 month Post-Treatment: Improvement of fine wrinkles and skin laxity.
- 1-3 months Post-Treatment: Continuous improvement of fine wrinkles, pores size, scars and skin laxity.
- Common expected skin reactions include erythema (redness), edema (swelling), transient pin-point bleeding, and very slight discomfort after treatment. Pin-point bleeding should stop within minutes after application, discomfort within a few hours and erythema and edema gradually diminishes to normal in 1 to 3 days.
- Crusting begins to appear 1 – 2 days after treatment and sloughs off in 3 – 5 days.
- Other less common skin reactions include petechia which fade in a few days or bruising (purpura) which can take up to a week to disappear.
- Other skin reactions include irritation, itching, and burning sensation. These typically subside in a few hours to 1 day, but may get aggravated with heat or sweating. If these reactions continue consider evaluating for possible infection, changing their skin care regimen and/or short-term use of mild topical steroid.