Preparing for a Botox Treatment
Conveniently Located to Serve Rutherford, Verona, Bergen and Essex Counties
If you’re preparing for a Botox treatment in New Jersey, it’s important to understand the steps involved. From the consultation to preparing for aftercare to having a concept of the cost, the more you know, the better.
Your Botox Consultation
Your Botox consultation will start with a discussion about your skin aging concerns and goals. An exam will be conducted for a detailed assessment of the targeted fine facial wrinkles. Typically, these include crow’s feet around the eyes, glabellar lines, and horizontal forehead lines. For safety, your medical records will also be evaluated.
A detailed Botox treatment plan will be created based on your goals and the assessment. The treatment plan will be fully explained to you so that you can be confident about undergoing the treatment. Every detail will be discussed, including the treatment session, results, and estimated cost.
In addition, you will be provided with instructions about preparing for a Botox treatment. You can ask questions anytime during your consultation.
Preparing for a Botox Treatment
The following preparation steps are recommended:
- Exercise – You cannot exercise for at least several hours after treatment, so it is ideal to do your exercise routine before your Botox treatment.
- Drink water – Staying hydrated is a must before any cosmetic treatment.
- Schedule your treatment session during a lunch break – A session can last around 15-20 minutes, so you can easily fit it into your lunch break and then go right back to work!
What to Avoid Before a Botox Treatment
You are more likely to achieve ideal results and minimize potential side effects if you avoid the following:
- Applying makeup – Applying makeup and other foreign substances can increase the chance of discomfort, redness, and swelling.
- Drinking wine – Drinking wine, especially red wine, a week before your treatment session can increase the risk of bruising after your Botox injection.
- Eating garlic – Garlic consumption is another factor that can cause bruising.
- Taking anti-inflammatory medications – If you take these medications within a week before your schedule, you will likely experience bruising and discoloration.
- Taking certain supplements – You need to stop taking supplements that can cause blood thinning a week before treatment. Common supplements include fish oil, Ginko Biloba, ginseng, St. John’s Wort, and vitamin E.
- Getting chemical peels, sun tans, and facials – Avoid these to keep your skin from being too sensitive before the treatment.
Learn About Botox Aftercare
Part of your preparation for Botox treatment is to learn about Botox aftercare. This will ensure that you have everything on hand for a proper recovery. We recommend the following:
- Getting arnica – Use arnica to minimize bruising.
- Having the right cleanser – Use a gentler facial cleanser.
- No makeup – Avoid using makeup at least a day after treatment.
Be Aware of the Cost of Botox
Having an understanding of how much your Botox treatment will cost is an important part of preparation. Price is determined based on the number of units of Botox used, along with each patient’s aesthetic goals.
Contact Us to Learn More
To find out more about preparing for a Botox treatment in New Jersey, visit us at Geria Dermatology. Contact us today for an appointment!